raf mess.jpg

This is your Flying Club.  Whether you're flying or not - come in, relax in front of the open fire or in our outside space with a full view of the flying action, help yourself to free drinks and snacks, spread out on the sofas, and chew the aviation fat with like-minded aviators.


Regular or frequent pilots and students can take full advantage of the lowest hire and training rates around!

Named after our home in the iconic WWII RAF Watch Office building, membership costs just £40 per month. 

See our Fleet & Rates for Flying Rates.

watch office.jpg

Our building prior to being extended, and as it was when serving as the Watch Office and Chief Instructors Office for RAF No.3 Air Observer & Navigator School during WWII.

Arial Airport.jpg


Three Tarmac Runways and a grass strip means that the wind and rain seldom disrupts flying.  A friendly AFIS Service is just enough to handle busy periods without you being stuck endlessly at the hold for commercial traffic.   There's a great cafe/restaurant under the control tower (tell them we sent you!), lots of interesting airplanes and flying activity to see, an Antique & Vintage indoor market to explore, and much more to see and do.  Very close to major towns and...oh yes....not a high-vis jacket in sight!


Construction being completed by early 1941, the name RAF Bobbington was changed on 1 September 1943 to RAF Halfpenny Green, because of some confusion with RAF Bovingdon, Hertfordshire.

Operations commenced in May 1941 with No.3 Air Observers’ Navigation School flying Blackburn Bothas. The Botha had been designed to drop torpedoes but was relegated to training due to being under-powered and having some unpleasant flying characteristics. Of 473 Bothas used by the RAF for training, 169 crashed, two from Halfpenny Green crashing on successive days in June 1941.

Avro Ansons (pictured) soon replaced the Botha and sixty six were on strength when the school disbanded in 1945. 

No. 1545 Beam Approach Training Flight operating Airspeed Oxfords flew approaches in appalling weather. On 13th December 1944 a BATF Oxford swung on take-off. running into five parked Ansons. The visibility was reported as “ten to fifteen yards“. No one was hurt. Flying ceased after WWII.

Flying resumed in May 1952 with No.2 Air Signallers School flying Avro Ansons, the unit disbanding in September 1953. A ground-based equipment sub-unit of No.25 Maintenance Unit occupied much of the aerodrome from 1 March 1946 until 15 November 1956 after which the aerodrome was placed under Care & Maintenance.

Permission to operate civil aircraft was given by the Air Ministry and in 1961 the Halfpenny Green Flying Club began operations. In 1967 planning for a permanent aerodrome at Halfpenny Green was approved.